For over a decade SmokeLong has supported emerging writers mostly through The Kathy Fish Fellowship, later renamed The SmokeLong Flash Fellowship for Emerging Writers. As we have grown, we've decided to offer a program that will help not only one emerging writer per year but up to ten.
The SmokeLong Fellowship for Emerging Writers January-June 2024
As a SmokeLong Fellow you will read the SmokeLong submissions queue with our submissions editors, gaining valuable experience behind the scenes at a lively literary journal.
You will also have free access to SmokeLong Fitness--the Community Workshop of SmokeLong Quarterly. Active participation in this workshop is expected from SmokeLong Fellows.
You will receive feedback on your writing every two weeks from at least one senior SmokeLong editor or guest workshop leader.
Applicants must be
- emerging writers, meaning writers who have not published a book-length work of fiction or non-fiction;
- passionate about the form and future of the flash narrative;
- eighteen years of age or older;
- willing to spend 5-8 hours a week reading submissions;
- committed to lively participation in SmokeLong Fitness, the community workshop of SmokeLong;
- excited about learning.
What we want to see:
- two examples of your writing (each under 1000 words, published or unpublished),
- and a statement of your commitment including your reasons for applying for this residency.